Proficient students understand that summarizing means to spot what’s most vital and restating the text (or other media) in your own words.
Students may monitor their understanding of a text by summarizing as they read.
They understand that if they will write a one- or two-sentence summary of every paragraph after reading it, then that’s an honest sign that they need correctly understood it.
If they will not summarize the most idea of the paragraph, they know that comprehension has weakened and that they got to use fix-up strategies to repair understanding.
How does a summary begin ?
A summary begins with an introductory sentence that states the text’s title, author and main point of the text as you see it.
Mostly it is written in your own words. A summary contains only the ideas of the first text.
Do not insert any of your own opinions, interpretations, deductions or comments into a summary.
What is the format of writing a summary ?
- When writing a summary, remember that it should be within the sort of a paragraph.
- Ensure you begin with an introductory sentence that states the text’s title, author and main point of the text as you see it.
- Try and make sure it is written in your own words.
- Always contain only the ideas of the first text. don’t insert any of your own opinions, interpretations, deductions or comments into a summary.
- Identify so as the many sub-claims the author uses to defend the most point.
- Copy word-for-word three separate passages from the essay that you simply think support and/or defend the most point of the essay as you see it.
- Cite each passage by first signaling the work and therefore the author, put “quotation marks” round the passage you chose, and put the amount of the paragraph where the passages are often found immediately after the passage.
- Using source material from the essay is vital . Why? Because defending claims with source material is what you’ll be asked to try to to when writing papers for your college professors.
- Write a final sentence that “wraps” up your summary; often an easy rephrasing of the most point.
Also, you are required to take cognizance of the following:
- Shorten the text in such how that each one facts are within the summary. skip examples, evaluations and interpretations.
- Skim the text. you ought to know what’s the most content of it. Read the headline carefully.
- Read the text again to know more details.
- You must have understood the entire text.
- Make notes (use keywords). Underline important words within the text.
- Form sentences with the assistance of your keywords. These sentences should reflect the most content of the text.
- Connect the sentences using suitable conjunctions. the primary sentence should describe the most content of the text.
- Use Simple Present or Simple Past. Write sentences in Reported speech.
Sometimes you’ve got to vary the persons.
Check your summary. be careful for spelling mistakes.
Important points to recollect
- Don’t copy the article. Instead, paraphrase. for instance , “the author claims / states / suggests …”
If you quote directly from the first text, use quotation marks. (Minimise how often you are doing this.)
- Don’t give your opinion.
- Edit what you write. Check your English grammar, spelling and punctuation mistakes.
- Don’t forget to incorporate linking words so your reader can easily follow your thoughts.
This will help your summary flow better, and assist you avoid writing short sentences with none connection between them.
- At now , you’ll got to organise all the knowledge within the most rational way.
You might even have repeated ideas or details that you’ll got to delete.
Summary in English is extremely delicate, it’s quite different from comprehension and will be treated with care.